Sunday, April 17, 2011

Novel Challenge

The challenge was to come up with a poem regarding a famoussquare based on this novel, "Washington Square" by Henry James.

I chose Trafalgar Square in London; I have been there, when I was a teenager on a school trip. I paid my way. I saved all  my birthday, baby sitting money so I could go.  It was worth it. I blended the before n' now of this famous square~


Historic view
Transformed
Lion's pride
protects
London's eye
sees white chalk homes, red buses piled high, black cabs blur
vibrant space
plethora of art
soap box platform
Nelson's column, proud
battle's heart remembers
fountain gurgles news
pigeon's post
as life travels by.


Or

Student aboard
in a jumble of hub pub
soap box pride
announces view of news
pigeon's post
lovers linger
school girls giggle
Pigeon man feeds family
stale bread
art surrounds
the blur of chalk white homes, colorful people, and shops
traffic transformed
historic pride
Lion's roar of the crowd
plethora of people
weave about.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful, Ella. You have captured the energy and culture of this memorable square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful, Ellie. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete