Thursday, March 24, 2011

Think Tank Thursday


Poets United prompt #41 is Uniforms and Serivce. I'm married to an enlisted man; CMC=Command Master Chief. He is an E9, the highest rank of the enlisted. He can go higher, Fleet and Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy. I am not in the military, but have survived deployments while he took classes, went to sea, etc. There have been times with no communication, they have been moments of living where I could not discuss what I saw. One spouse did and was given a warning. The next time she called home and talked about the type of  planes she saw. She was removed from the island. The military police came to her door, told her to pack and took her to a plane. I lived closer to Russia than the U.S.; I was on an island in the Aleutian Chain called Adak.  There were long periods of time, I only had a vague idea what he did. I was better off not knowing, as he advanced the job changed to more pencil pushing, and now shrink. (no not really, but the CMC counsels people daily, among other duties.

This is a ceremony I witnessed, that touched me. I thought it would be poetic to share it.When I have gone to the Navy and/or Khaki Ball the ceremony of  "The POW/MIA Table". It is a table set for one, it symbolizes
members of the military missing from the Navy's midst. Prisoners of War or Missing in Action is what most call them; the Navy calls them brothers.


Dining room illuminated
Colors arrive
Ship's bell is rung
Attention on Deck

MC announces the mystery guest
Corner table for one
set for our missing brothers
remember their place
one small and frail prisoner against unfavorable odds
purity covers table
intention spreads to respond
duty call to arms
precious red rose in vase
lives in  faith
determined ribbon, reminiscent red accounted for
 bitter lemon fate on bread plate
salt sprinkled, tears as family waits
no toast, no cheer tonight
inverted glass, no one to partake
empty chair, no one there
Remember those brave souls have not forsaken you
Depend on their aid
Bear witness and remember
unyielding determination
for the Land of the Free

14 comments:

  1. May those dear servants never be forgotten for their sacrifice. On another note, I can't imagine how you have the stamina to keep up with two blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda-I don't post on here often. I think it will be useful when doing the A-Z blogging challenge.
    There isn't much activity over here, as you can see :-D I love what you wrote, I wanted to put men' women, brothers or sisters. They haven't done that yet at the ceremony, but so should!
    Thanks for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Ella this a wonderful piece and much tribute to the wifes and families of this men and husbands of these woman who take oath and risk not only life but heart and soul...bless you and your family for everything you have all done for freedom...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly touching and so meaningful, Ellie. Really really good. God bless all who serve, and their mates and families , who also serve and who often live with Not Knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A touching and moving piece of writing. So many fallen brothers and sisters. So many empty chairs. All for freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a true poem: thoughtful and emotionally evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. touching and a much needed perspective. Thank you, Ella, for sharing this insightful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very touching. A person's sacrifices become more conspicuous by their absence in a very sad way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. My tribute too. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ella,
    Thank you for sharing your experiences of this life and I know from what you have written before, it impacts on you too, when you must keep moving home!!!
    Your poem was a wonderful tribute, to those who are prisoners or unaccounted for.
    It is a very nice gesture.
    Best wishes, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blows me away. This is written for all of us to remember the ones that did not come back or haven't come back yet. Their sacrifices are hard to phathom but you do them justice in remembrance. Beautifully done.

    http://judyidliketosay.blogspot.com/2010/12/there-came-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful tribute. I didn't know this about the ceremonies. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete